Yeah, so now that I'm here you want to know what's new. Of course you do. I'm still not ready to post pictures of my apartment because I have no time to actually finish it. I still have stuff all over the place and books someone said they wanted but won't come get. :( I did receive and successfully build my kitchen table! That was a glorious day. Here's a picture. I also received and build my bookcase. Filled that up right away, so now my TV stand isn't overrun by them. I recently hung up my wall art in my bathroom and some in the bedroom, along with my jewelry rack. While I have a plan for my living room, all of the walls are still empty. It does look a lot better with the bookshelf though. I'll love to update you on my life in the classroom as well, but we'll do that separately or else you'll be reading a book. Last weekend I drove out to Greenville to see my brothers, who were both at ECU for an ultimate tournament. So worth it! I love my brothers, and it was so good to see them. I also got to learn about both of their teams and all around "be informed." Marvelous. Neither of their teams were very good, but I could tell they both had a good time. Pete told me about the tournaments they are both hosting on two weekends in November. Apparently my parents are coming to the one at Wake. Unfortunately, High Point isn't going to Wake's tournament, and Wake isn't going to High Point's. I'm not really quite sure why, just that it's strange since they're only half an hour from each other, and it would be much more convenient for me if they were. I'll definitely go out there for one of them, but since it's five hours one way, I probably won't go for both.
Meanwhile in Elizabeth City, we got some rain this past week. And by "got some rain," I mean we got over 13 inches of rain in less than 72 hours. We got RAIN. And flooding, obviously. Because when you live in a waterfront town, logically it floods when it rains. But this was much more. Flooding that caused accidents, and schools to be closed for three days in some places. It rained some Monday, but it was really Tuesday night when it hit. Wednesday driving to work was just a mess. There was a portion of the road where the ditch on the right was overfull, flooding into the right shoulder, the entire right lane, and about a quarter of the left lane. There were a car and a truck designed to carry liquids stuck in the flooding there.
We ended up leaving early that day, and the commute home was better for me, but a lot worse for others. School was closed with optional workdays on Thursday and Friday. I went for both, and my commute was fine all four times, but my mentor said she had to take a different route in on Friday because her's was still closed to due flooding (she didn't come in on Thursday). On Saturday, I drove out to Sunbury in Gates county, which had no school all three days, and there was still water all up in the fields on the side of the highway on my way there. But, I think we're good now. It rained a little more on both Thursday and Friday, but it's Sunday now and it didn't rain yesterday, and it doesn't look like it will today, so we should be good for the week now.
Suppose you could say the cool thing about it is we made national news because of it! Below is the link to the article ABC wrote about the flooding. To the left is a chart posted online by the National Weather Service. While informative, this doesn't give the full description as it shows the amount of rain in 24 hours up to 6am on Wednesday. It rained on Monday, Monday night, and all of Wednesday, which isn't included. You'll notice that I work in the third North Carolina town that's listed on there. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/carolina-flooding-julia-closes-schools-spews-sewage-42309113
I'll try to be back sooner than later. Besides, I have to tell you about life in C03! (I have no idea why that's my room number, but it is. I don't have a problem with it; I don't use that statement very often.)
No comments:
Post a Comment