Today is January 19th, and so far this month, we’ve had two full school days, two delayed openings, and an early release. That’s less than 4.5 days of school in the equivalent of 13.5 days. Oh my.
Let's review, shall we? Tuesday, January 2, we went back to school. It was freezing! Only one other district had school that day, and they had a delayed opening due to the cold. We didn't, but maybe we should have. My class was 67 degrees that day, and though not the warmest, definitely not the coldest either.
Wednesday everyone knew that something was coming. How big, and how much, we didn't know. When it would happen, that was a little unknown too. Last Thursday morning, we woke up to seven inches of snow and winds that had made drifts over two feet. But then Thursday night, everything froze at 18 degrees. And again on Friday night when it dropped to 11. And worse on Saturday night (7 degrees). And even worse on Sunday, as if that was even possible. I had no idea EC could reach 2 degree temps but it happened! Monday shocked us all by finally rising above freezing temps, though that did nothing to our ice and snow situation, although they did allow staff to go to school, and we got mail for the first time in 5 days. Tuesday everything began to melt, but not enough for school buses to take on the back roads on Wednesday. By the time we were good to go on Thursday, with a two hour delay, there was nothing left on any of the roads I had to drive. Yay! A two hour delay and a full school day on Friday. Friday we had a high of 73 degrees! (That's an increase of 71 degrees in six days!)
A new week. MLK on Monday, so logically, no school. And a no school day that couldn't be taken away. Some major fog seeps in on Tuesday, causing another delay. (It was still quite foggy when I drove to work two hours later!) Oh but wait, we're not done! Wednesday we're expecting more snow, so schools release early. No school Thursday, and surprisingly, Friday too.
And so now it's January 19th. And I've seen my kids five times. One of them has been out for three of those days. I also received two new students this month. I've seen one for four days, and the other for two days. And I have to admit, I kinda miss them! Not just the new ones, all of them. Directly after Christmas break, to be hit with two snow storms like this.
Next week we have a full five day week! We're going to be so exhausted. It'll be a blast. :)
During my sophomore year of college, some guys started calling me "Jersey," so I took it literally and when I made an Instagram that fall, made my handle Just Call Me Jersey. 6 years later, it's my handle for all of my social media accounts. I'm not as Jersey as others you may meet, I hate being called a "Jersey girl," and I don't have a Jersey accent at all, but it's home, and therefore it'll always be part of me. So go ahead. Call me Jersey. But please don't make leave Carolina.
Friday, January 19, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment