Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Edited and the Original, Goodbye Perquimans

On my way back to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, I found myself delayed and bored at the airport, and began this post titled "Goodbye Perquimans." Then my flight was announced to leave earlier than the delay time, and I had barely got started. Thanksgiving was a hectic few days and it wasn't getting finished then.

But then I found myself lost on how to finish it. Which is why it's now been almost three months, and here we are.

Let's start with what I was writing, and then move on to why I couldn't finish it.


"In September I wrote a post about being unemployed.

And now we've reached the point where it's time. I'm moving on. I've found a new position, and I've found a new comfort.

It's time to say goodbye.

I owe everything about who I am as a teacher right now to Perquimans. I entered as a terrified student teacher in January 2016, and I left with two years of experience and so much knowledge in June. I left my first class, eager to join me again in second grade next year, great co-workers and some true friends. Ultimately, my heart wasn't ready to leave. But my mind was, and my time was up."


I've realized now that I can't say goodbye to Perquimans County. They built me to who I am, and part of me will always be connected there. Three months into the job, and I often relate to how I did things in my class last year. I discussed how I ran my reading groups last year to the instructional coach just yesterday.

No matter how much time passes, there will always be things I reference and use from my time in Perquimans. My current district is looking into adding Letterland (a phonics curriculum) to second grade at my school next year. I taught Letterland in Perquimans, and I already know it. If they do it, I'm definitely going to pull out my Letterland binder, which has Perquimans all over it.

I know now there's nothing wrong with not being able to say goodbye here. They're my first classes, and my first bits of knowledge. And I'll be taking them with me everywhere for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment