Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Story I Haven't Shared - Leaving EC

Here's the story I haven't shared publicly. The story behind my move from EC.


In August, after I had been searching for a new job for the entire summer and had sat on multiple interviews but was still unemployed, my roommates and I each received a letter in the mail. On the same day. From the same place. Stating the same thing.

Our landlords were not letting us renew our lease.

My mind immediately knew. This was an act of God. What He was planning, I had no idea. I still don't know. But this was definitely Him. Our lease ending. That I was still unemployed. Both Him. I knew what this meant. I knew what He wanted. It was time to make a change.

I stretched my search. I gave up Pasquotank, Currituck, and waiting to ever hear back from Hertford. I spent days creating a detailed map of North Carolina and how populated areas were and analyzed all the available openings. Tracking what position they were, what county they were for, what town they were in. I started driving over 2 hours for interviews, one way. I spent a lot of money on gas. I knew God had a plan, and I was ready for Him to lead me. Mostly.

The end of October neared, and I had no idea where I was going. I'm seriously OCD, and this was messing with my mind. It's the middle of the school year now. Less schools are looking for teachers. I interviewed in Franklin. I interviewed in Nash. Twice. I interviewed in Johnston. Also twice. I was rejected in Franklin. I was rejected at Johnston #1. Nash #1 never got back to me and eventually, I gave that one up. I was still lost.

But it was the end of October now. I had to leave. Even if I didn't know where I was going. I had to trust God. I also had to trust a good friend of mine, who had a friend who lived in Johnston County, where I was already applying, and was willing to let me stay with her and her husband indefinitely. I had met her once, and hadn't met her husband at all. But God's with me. So, I put all my stuff in an indoor storage unit near their place, and left Elizabeth City.

I just had one problem as I left. I loved my church. Elizabeth City Evangelical Methodist Church was my home. I didn't want to leave it. I wasn't ready to leave it. But I had no job. And no house. I knew God was telling me it was time to go. I still didn't know where I was going, but I was going.


Now see, there's a secondary storyline to this one. It's the storyline of my job. My current job. I interviewed at SHES in Nash County on September 7th. Yes, you read that correctly. September 7th. It was the first job I drove out for. It was a 2 hour and 15-minute drive there, and a 2 hour and 15-minute drive back on a Friday afternoon. September 7th.

The following week, Hurricane Florence was barrelling towards NC. On the afternoon of Wednesday the 12th, I was packing to leave for Pennsylvania with my roommate to avoid the storm when my phone rang. Guess who it was. The principal told me he wanted me for the position but hadn't had a chance to contact my references. Completely understandable, as even our local elementary schools were scrambling with how to handle this storm. I didn't care about that. He wanted me, and I was stoked.

After we found out that EC was completely spared from this storm and my roommate would have to work on Monday, we came back to town. The principal emailed me that he contacted my references, and was waiting for their responses. The following Monday, September 24th, he told me he had completed my recommendation for hire and sent it to personnel. Here we go.

Monday, September 24th. Then came what I would still like to refer as the period of torture in which the district put a hiring freeze in place for over three weeks, and upon releasing that, lost all my paperwork, before finally fixing themselves. Meanwhile, I had to continue to search for a job, despite already being told someone wanted me, and also pack up my life, and move 150 miles away.

Ultimately, it took them seven weeks, but on the afternoon of Wednesday, November 7th, I was offered the position and given a start date. That's a great story too. See, they didn't call me. I was at a park in Smithfield, because I tried to get out of the house and go for a walk every day. And whenever I walk, I call people and talk. So I had already called my grandmother and Pete, and was on the phone with Dad when I decide it's too hot and I'm done walking. I'm driving away from the park and get off the phone with Dad so he can get back to work, when my phone alerts with an email that came in while I was on the phone. I glance at it (which isn't the best decision as I'm driving) and the subject line says "WELCOME TO NASH ROCKY MOU..." and I flipped. I pulled into a nearby subdivision and pulled to the curb and called Dad back. When I was finally calm enough to drive again, I actually went back to the park and called Mom and everyone else.

Seven weeks. That's how long it took for them to hire me. Made me slightly hesitant but I was IN. And I wasn't saying no. This principal told me he wanted me for the position almost two months ago and kept pushing. It wasn't his fault the people above him took forever and then messed things up. I was in and I was going. This is where God was leading me.



I've been in the Clayton/Rocky Mount/Raleigh area for five months now. I know this is where God wanted me. I took over a class that had had four teachers before me, and substitutes for the previous five weeks before I came. I took over a class with 50% more students than last year (24 over 16). Both of these are challenges. Both of these have been easier than everything that was last year. (Although Perquimans' phonics curriculum is much easier to teach than Nash-Rocky Mount's, I will definitely give them that!)

There have been two things about this massive change that have been difficult. (Not including teaching curriculum I had never used before on my very first day there.) One of them comes back to the hardest part of leaving Elizabeth City - church. Yes, I miss my roommates. Yes, I miss my friends. But honestly, I miss EMC the most. I miss the familiar faces opening the doors when I got there. I miss the regular folks I said good morning to during meet and greet. I miss the joyful noise offering. I miss Jeff's worship. I miss Sean and Aaron's banter. I miss the comfort of knowing where I was going to church, where I was going to sit, and who I was going to sit with. I miss Ann.

Finding a new church can be an excitement or a burden, and it's felt like both to me. Sometimes, it's exciting, the opportunity to meet new people and finding new possibilities. Other times, it's just overwhelming - new people every week, sermons that don't make sense, can't find a place to park. Often it feels like this is the only piece I'm missing. And in the path God is taking me on, that may be true. I just have to keep trusting Him. He's brought me this far. I know He'll bring the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment