That means I graduate college in 3 days! I honestly don't know how I feel about it. The next week and a half is stock full of very big events! May has always been a busy time in my life, and the middle of this year's is not disappointing.
Since day 1, I haven't been the typical college student. And that tradition continues now. I arrived at college on that very first day after driving 382 miles south, answering everyone's unasked questions about the two very large packages that were waiting in the lobby of the school's one dorm with return addresses in New Jersey. (Because why would someone from New Jersey come to MACU?!)
I'm not your typical college student.
I mailed my belongings to the school because when I moved in, I arrived with four family members and their vacation stuff.
I lived in a dorm away from home for three years before I got here.
I had already dealt with your stereotypical roommate issues--the older student who thinks she can manipulate you, the exchange student who doesn't speak English, the best friend turned enemy for some unknown reason.
I joined a program that wasn't accreditated until after I was attending the school for a month (we knew it would be).
Even once I had been a student for a while, I still wasn't the typical college student.
I was somehow the only tennis player on campus my first year.
I stayed in the dorm for Thanksgiving and Easter.
I disliked having a single room after my roommate moved out my freshman year, and again when my third roommate left the school my sophomore year.
I wanted to be an RA.
I was the only RA who missed having a roommate during my junior year.
I never pulled an all-nighter.
And even as a senior...
I was barely on campus even though I lived there and had two on-campus jobs because I spent all my time at the elementary school.
I never wanted to be the typical student. I wanted to be myself. And being me came with being everything else. I couldn't pretend to be new at being away from home, because I was already used it. I couldn't pretend to enjoy my single room, because I loved having a roommate.
College is a bumpy ride, but it's one of the best rides you'll ever take. Four years has gone by so fast; I can't believe we're only three days away. What am I going to do now?! It feels like everything is about to change. And it is! I know that; I'm just not ready for it. But I guess it's coming whether I'm ready or not.
![]() |
| This year's RA team at the start of the year in August! I've been blessed to work alongside these folks for a year or for some, two! |

No comments:
Post a Comment